Leverage the Expertise of Seasoned Education Administrators
Texas Virtual Academy’s administrators are dedicated to making our virtual school an ideal learning experience for all students. Additionally, the K¹² support staff handles the technology and other back-end business aspects for our school, providing all TXVA families with a strong technical support system
- Sara Baker, Head of School, earned her doctorate and master’s degrees in educational leadership from Texas A&M University-Commerce and has a bachelor’s degree in chemistry. Dr. Baker is certified in Texas as a superintendent and principal and has teaching certifications in various fields. She served for ten years as a Texas school administrator prior to joining TXVA, both as a director of special education and secondary campus principal. Prior to serving in a leadership capacity, Sara served students directly as a chemistry teacher, special education teacher, and third grade classroom teacher. She is dedicated to ensuring the provision of exemplary educational programs to meet the unique needs of students and is excited to be part of the TXVA team!
- Chase Eskelsen, Manager of Operations, joined the K¹² team in 2012 as a document processor. He was then promoted to testing logistics coordinator and, finally, was hired as the manager of operations in August 2013. Chase was born in Northern Utah and lived in both Utah and Southern California growing up. He received a bachelor’s degree from a private college in the Bay Area before moving to Texas and also has earned a master’s degree in school administration.
- Tammany Olson, High School Principal, is from the Chicago suburbs and started her career teaching high school technology classes in Naperville, Illinois. She holds a bachelor’s degree in business education and a master’s degree is in curriculum and instruction and is working on her doctorate in educational administration. She started her PhD in education at the University of California–Santa Barbara. She moved to Texas and joined the TXVA family as the high school assistant principal in 2013. Prior to that, she worked with the high school administrative team for K¹²’s California Virtual Academies. She has lived in Chicago, the California coast, and Paris (for a semester)—but San Antonio is by far her favorite place of them all. She looks forward to serving the staff while positively affecting our online community. It is her goal to help the teachers and students she works with to realize their highest potential and utilize it to their best ability.
- Daphne Troxell, Principal for Grades 3–8, was born and raised in Arizona where she began her teaching career as a high school math teacher. She holds a bachelor’s degree in secondary education in math and was part of an administrative training program in Arizona. She moved to Texas in 2014 and has enjoyed learning all about Texas history. She served as a regional instructional coach for the Southern Region prior to joining TXVA as principal. Daphne has been focused on improving the academic performance of schools in our Southern Region and has played an integral role in the development of our national Students First instructional coaching program. Prior to joining the Southern Region, Daphne served as the math department lead, new teacher mentor, and middle school math teacher at both AZVA and TXVA. She is dedicated to helping all stakeholders reach their highest potential and become effective members of our communities.
- Megan Freeman, Grades 3–8 Curriculum Coordinator, has a bachelor’s degree from Texas A&M University and has been in education since 2003. She taught in the brick-and-mortar for five and a half years before joining TXVA. From 2008–2012, Megan taught grades 3–8 at TXVA and served as the site coordinator at the Plano testing location for two years. Beginning in the summer of 2012, Megan became TXVA’s curriculum coordinator and instructional coach for grades 3–8. She enjoys supporting teachers and families with the K¹² curriculum and supporting teachers in Class Connects! She lives in East Dallas, not too far from downtown, and has been married for six years. Megan has a five-year-old son and two-year-old daughter who keep her very busy. When she has a little free time, Megan enjoys gardening, playing with her dogs and cat, and spending time with friends.
- Teri Heims, Special Programs Manager, holds an undergraduate degree from the University of Oklahoma in education as well as a master’s degree from the University of Houston at Clear Lake in instructional technology. She taught in the brick-and-mortar for seven years before joining TXVA. In 2009, Teri joined the TXVA family and has served as a grades 3-8 teacher, lead teacher, site coordinator for testing, Dyslexia/RTI coordinator, and is currently the special programs manager for both TXVA and TOPS. Although she has had a variety of job responsibilities at K¹² schools in Texas, her true passion is with those students who struggle with the general curriculum and need extra help or services. Away from work, she enjoys spending time with her husband and two children.
- Christy Brewer, High School Curriculum and AP Coordinator, began her career as a virtual educator in 2008 with iQ Academy Texas and then TXVA in 2010 as a high school social studies teacher. She has taught students in grades 6–12 in the subjects of English, special education, and social studies, and holds certifications in various fields. Christy holds a master’s degree in curriculum and instruction. She believes that all children can prosper, and it our duty as educators to provide them with the tools to be successful.