It’s not too late to enroll in grades 3–8 for the 2015–2016 school year. However, we are no longer accepting applications for first-semester high school students. Review the eligibility requirements below and follow the simple step-by-step process to start enrolling your student today!
If you are interested in having your high school student join us for the second semester, you may still submit an enrollment application by following the simple step-by-step process below. Please note that Texas Virtual Academy (TXVA) does not accept 12th grade students during the second semester.
There are specific eligibility requirements to attend TXVA, designated by Texas state laws, the Texas Education Agency (TEA), and ResponsiveEd®.
Please review these eligibility requirements to determine if your student is eligible to enroll in TXVA.
All students must meet one of the three options below to qualify for enrollment in TXVA:
Students must meet all the following criteria:
- Reside in Texas, except as otherwise provided for in TEC Chapter 30A.002, and
- Reside within the existing boundaries of the charter school geographic service area in which they enrolled. View a list of school districts where students are not eligible to attend.
- Not have graduated from high school, and
- Have been enrolled in a public school in Texas during the preceding year
- Have been previously enrolled in a Texas public high school and no longer reside in Texas as a result of a military deployment or transfer, or
- Have been placed in substitute care in Texas, regardless of whether the student was enrolled in a public school in Texas in the preceding school year
For more information on H.B. 3646, the 2009 legislation that includes terms of participation for students wishing to enroll in an online virtual school through the TxVSN, you may view the text from the bill.
Steps to Enroll
Enrolling your student is important—but it shouldn’t be difficult. We’ve designed our enrollment process to provide you with the tools, resources, and guidance you’ll need, any time you need it. To ensure a seamless experience, we recommend using Google Chrome or Firefox as your web browser when completing the following steps.
1. Create an Account
The Parent Portal provides on-demand access to our online Application and Admissions Process, real-time alerts to help you stay on track, and quick links to important information.
Create an Account
Set up a user account to start the enrollment process.
Already Have an Account?
Log in and resume your enrollment process.
2. Submit an Application
To submit an application, you’ll provide us with basic information about your student and choose an available school.
The steps below will be required for students enrolling in grades 3-8. Parents of high school students interested in joining us for the second semester will be provided additional instructions on completing these steps in October. Please note that TXVA does not accept 12th grade students during the second semester.
3. Complete the Admissions Process
To complete the admissions process, you’ll provide more detailed information about your student, submit necessary documentation, and fulfill any additional requirements related to your student’s enrollment.
TXVA has some specific requirements that are important for you to note before you get started:
Proof of Prior Public School Enrollment
To show proof of enrollment in a public school during the 2014–2015 school year, please submit any one of the following documents from the 2014–2015 school year:
- Report card
- Progress report
- Verification of enrollment form filled out by previous school
- The parent and/or legal guardian of every student enrolling in grades 3-12 must also attend a pre-enrollment conference as part of the enrollment process. This will be required before a student is approved.The goal of this session is to provide you with a complete overview of what you can expect when school begins in the fall, including an introduction to the online learning setting.
4. Complete Any Next Steps
All prospective families will participate in a pre-approval telephone conference with an Enrollment Consultant. You may also have additional pre-approval actions depending on your student’s individual situation. If this applies to you, you will be notified and instructed how to complete them.
5. Receive Official Approval
Upon successful completion of the enrollment process, your student will be approved. Please check your e-mail for important information regarding your student’s approval and how to access the Online School.
Thanks for your interest in Texas Virtual Academy! We look forward to you and your family joining our school community soon.